If given a choice between western and Indian food, most kids and teenagers today would undoubtedly pick the former and this stands true for most of the urban and suburban cities in India.
The lifestyle of an ordinary Indian is rapidly changing and is highly influenced by the west. More and more Indians are being attracted to the idea of dining out, ordering food online and eating fast food. Outlets like McDonalds, Dominos, Burger King, Subway, etc have multiple outlets in one single city, all of which are crowded by teenagers and young adults.
Now you would probably say that I am stating the obvious. But...the question here is, why is this obvious? Why are young Indians demanding so much of western food that every other new restaurant or cafe is selling it? Are we forgetting the amazing flavours, the delicious authenticity and breath-taking variety of our own roots?
If you think we are, keep reading and remind yourself on what you are missing by eating burgers and pizzas every day-
- 1. Indian food offers so much to choose from! Every region, every state and every part of the country has different flavours and dishes to offer.
- 2. A plate of Indian food has the right balance between sweet and spicy. It also sings the perfect saga of taste and nutrition, with every element on the plate fulfilling the needs of your body.
- Fewer preservatives! Most Indian foods are required to be made from scratch and hence, making it healthier.
- 3. Indian cooking uses spices like turmeric, ginger, garlic and green chillies – all of which have medicinal and healing properties. So when people think of Indian food as being spicy, what they are not realising is that the spices used to make the dishes are actually good for the body and don’t just taste nice.
- 4. Traditional Indian meals include carbohydrates, proteins, fats and fibres, all of which are elements that you need for a balanced diet.
So the next time you are heading towards any of your favourite fast food joints, stop, take a break, and think about the mouth-watering parathas or dosas or puran polis back at home and remind yourself of how they are an amazing combination of taste, health and your roots.
And on your way back home, don’t forget to stop and buy some Laxminarayan Chiwda, which is the perfect blend of Indian-ness, taste and tradition. It’s a packet full of digestives, carbohydrates and is sure to satisfy your taste buds too!
You can now also buy it online at www.laxminarayanchiwda.com